Virtual Reality Statistics – By Industry, Country and Region, Demographics, Usage, Market Leaders, Adoption, Gaming, Market, Media
Updated · Sep 01, 2023
WHAT WE HAVE ON THIS PAGE
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Editor’s choice
- 3 Facts on Virtual Reality Statistics
- 4 General Statistics
- 5 Challenges of Virtual Reality
- 6 Benefits of Virtual Reality
- 7 Virtual Reality Statistics by Industry
- 8 Virtual Reality Statistics by Country and Region
- 9 Virtual Reality Statistics by Demographics
- 10 Virtual Reality Statistics by Usage
- 11 Virtual Reality Statistics by Market Leaders
- 12 Statistics by Virtual Reality Adoption
- 13 Statistics by Virtual Reality Gaming
- 14 Virtual Reality Statistics by Media
- 15 Statistics by Virtual Reality Market
- 16 Conclusion
As of knowledge, a computer-generated environment with effective objects and scenes that appear to be real along with making users feel immersed is termed Virtual Reality (VR). The VR is segmented into 3 primary categories fully-immersive, non-immersive, and semi-immersive simulations. As of reports by the end of 2030, the United States is expecting to use VR in approximately 2.32 million jobs and the global market share of VR is supposed to be $26.9 billion in value by the year 2027 with 19% of CAGR. These Virtual Reality Statistics include insights from various aspects that will shed light on how fast VR is becoming popular around the world.
- As of 2023, in the United States number of VR users has turned out 65.9 million with an increase of 15%, and in 2022 it was 64 million.
- In 2022, the worldwide market share of the VR gaming industry was around $12.13 billion and by the end of 2028, it will be $5.44 billion.
- According to survey reports, the cost of VR implementation is too expensive and this is termed as the main barrier which was accepted by 55% of VR respondents.
- As of 2023, in the U.S. the maximum owners of VR are male (57%) and female (43%) whereas; the most intended people who are thinking to purchase VR are male (69%), and female (31%).
- By the end of 2024 the revenue of VR gaming platform is going to result in $2.4 billion alone in the United States and in 2022 revenue was $1.6 billion, and in 2023 it is expected to be $1.9 billion.
- The spending on VR technology across the world in 2024 is expected to reach $72.8 billion.
- The global number of users of VR technology is expected to be 171 million by 2022.
- The commercial VR purchases are going to be $ 10.9 billion whereas; the amount of consumer spending will be $17.6 billion in 2024.
- In 2023, there are 70.8 million users alone in the United States which is 21% of the population.
Facts on Virtual Reality Statistics
- By the end of 2022 according to the National Research Group, in the United States, 48% of consumers had at least one VR experience.
- In the case of spending time in VR, almost 37% of the United States consumers remained excited.
- Virtual Reality has positively impacted society which was believed by 1/3rd of the U.S. adults.
- The shipment value of the virtual reality market in 2023 has turned out $67.12 million. And by the end of 2028it will be $202.70 million.
- By the end of 2030, it is expected that the VR segment is going to dominate by enterprise users in which the revenue is going to be 60%.
- As of survey reports, in case of attending work meetings on VR 1 out of 5 Americans are interested in 2023.
- In 2022, the global VR market is projected to be $6.67 billion and by the end of 2029, it will be $227.34 billion.
- The global VR statistics are segmented into two components hardware and software in which the largest revenue share turned out 67% and 29.7% respectively in 2022.
- As of 2023, virtual reality technology is used by more than 70.8 million U.S. people at least once per month, and in 2022 it was around 6.8 million users.
- By 2030, VR’s global GDP is going to be $ 1.5 trillion is termed as the potential net economic benefit.
- Consumers across the world have chosen to use VR headsets due to some top features such as 52% good image resolution, 44% comfortable headset and controllers, and 39% high-quality audio system.
- The market size of global virtual reality hardware and software resulted in $4.6 billion in 2022 and as of 2023 the market share is expected to reach $5.1 billion.
- Furthermore, other reasons are followed by ‘Part of business strategy’ (21%), ‘Paused/No activity’ (20%), ‘Planning’ (17%), and ‘Research’ (13%).
- In 2023, the reason for the adoption rate of Virtual Reality (VR) in companies across the world is ‘Integrating into business strategy’ (30%).
- The major players in the VR market include Meta, NVIDIA, Sony, Samsung, and HTC.
- In 2022, the revenue share of semi and fully-immersive VR technology has resulted out 82.7% whereas, the non-immersive VR segment has accounted for 17.3% and the commercial VR segment has earned 54.7% revenue share.
Challenges of Virtual Reality
- In the case of virtual reality adoption or implementation by users, the top challenge is poor user experience resulting in bulky hardware and technical glitches by 26%
- 24% Lack of content offerings such as quality content and less availability is a top barrier.
- Furthermore, the other challenges are reluctance by customers and businesses (14%), regulation and legal risks (13%), financing and investment (12%), and cost of customers (10%).
Benefits of Virtual Reality
- Virtual reality helps enable top workforce development programs.
- As of reports, 49% of VR provides information in real-time.
- The other benefits are following training facilities and allowing for monitoring of real-life experiences by 49%, allow in enhancing creativity in the development and designing of the product (48%), enabling a remote workforce that allows collaboration in real-time (47%), allowing users to live out someone else’s life experiences (41%), and capturing novel user data like tracking gesture, eye, and behavior (25%).
Virtual Reality Statistics by Industry
- In 2023, VR is most useful in gaming industries by 61% which is followed by healthcare and medical devices (38%) education (28%), workforce development and training (24%) manufacturing, and automotive (21% and 19% respectively), marketing and advertising (16%), logistics and transportation (16%), retail and e-commerce (15%), military and defense (13%), commercial real estate (13%), residential real estate (10%), tourism (5%), and others (4%).
- As of 2031, over the VR market, it is expected that the aviation industry is expected to be $23.6 billion.
- It is supposed that by the end of 2025 video entertainment, gaming, live events, and retail sectors of VR industries are going to hold half of the VR market.
- In 2022, VR used in the healthcare sector across the world resulted in $628 million, and by the year 2029, it is expected to be $6.20 billion.
- Whereas, by the end of the year 2026 the size of VR in the manufacturing industry is expected to be $14.8 billion.
- By 2027, the global virtual tourism industry is going to be $24 billion and in 2022 it will result in more than $6 billion.
- The VR-used retail industry is going to reach $19 billion by the year 2030.
Virtual Reality Statistics by Country and Region
- In 2022, the largest VR revenue share was accounted for by the Asia Pacific region resulting in 39%.
- Whereas, in 2023 the fastest growing VR market is Europe which has increased by 29.3% of CAGR.
- The leading countries that are currently investing in VR are China, the United States, the U.A.E, and France which worth $441.8 million by 2022 and the worth is expected to be $1,006 million by 2028.
- In the 1st quarter of 2022, the virtual reality market share of the educational industry in the different regions is followed by APAC (37%), North America (28%), Europe (19%), South America (12%), and rest of the world (4%).
Virtual Reality Statistics by Demographics
- As of 2023, in the U.S. the major VR users are 30% millennials and Gen Z, which is followed by Gen X (26%), and Boomers (13%).
- In the United States VR customers are very interested in attending virtual musical concerts which is followed by 37% of Gen Z and Millennials (38%).
- Virtual stores were preferred by 1 out of 3 Gen Z shoppers for purchasing products.
- In 2022 the virtual reality engagement statistics by age were followed by 25 years to 34 years (35%), 16 years to 24 years (34%), 35 years to 44 years (26%), 45 years to 54 years (12%), and 55 years to 64 years (6%).
- The VR motion sickness frequency statistics by gender are followed by male (7.2% frequently, 13.8% rarely, 29% sometimes, and 50% never) and female (22.8% frequently, 22.6% rarely, 20.2% sometimes, and 34.7% never)
Virtual Reality Statistics by Usage
- In 2023, around 88% of VR headset users have used it many times per month, and 60% of users used it multiple times in a week.
- As of survey reports, 7 out of 10 users of VR headsets have used VR devices for playing games, and around 42% of owners of VR devices have watched TV or films.
- Continuously more than 1 hour was spent by 13% of VR headset users in 2023.
- In 2022, 40% of VR consumers felt very nervous after experiencing VR horror.
- On the other hand, 22% of VR headset owners have used VR devices for creating art, music, and videos while 35% of VR owners have used them for exercise and workout purposes.
Virtual Reality Statistics by Market Leaders
- The VR market leaders offer immersive experiences over many global tech companies.
- Over the headset market of Virtual Reality, “Meta” is holding the highest share 90% in 2023.
- Followed by other leaders who are selling the best VR devices and experiences are ByteDance’s Pico (4.5%), and others (5.5%).
- From VR store Quest in 2023, revenue earned on apps and games ‘Meta’ has earned above $1.5 billion.
- On the other hand, ‘Oculus Quest VR headsets’ were sold by Meta resulting above 10 million units.
- In 2022, the market leaders of VR are Oculus VR LLC, Unity Technologies Inc., Lenovo Group Ltd., Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., and Sony Corporation.
- In the 1st quarter of 2022 the sales rate of VR headsets increased by 241.6% in the United States alone and by the end of the year it turned out to be 13.9 million.
- By the end of 2026, VR headsets will be sold by 73.6 million around the global market.
Statistics by Virtual Reality Adoption
- In 2023, the global users of VR technology are expected to be 171 million.
- The commercial VR purchases are going to be $ 10.9 billion in 2023 whereas, the amount of consumer spending will be $17.6 billion in 2024.
- According to virtual reality statistics, it has been observed that once after trying the VR devices the interest rates have grown effectively.
- In 2022, the United States 53 million people owned VR systems, and 1/3 of teens that is 26% of the U.S. have owned VR devices.
- Users are adopting VR devices for visiting virtual art galleries or museums (39%), attending yoga or fitness courses (32%), and staying connected with family and friends (31%).
- In the last two quarters of 2022, around 14 million U.S. adults have purchased VR devices and the spending of VR users has increased by 35%.
- At least one VR headset was used by 13% people of United States.
- It is expected that by the end of 2024, almost 34 million people are going to adopt VR headsets.
- Almost half of the businesses and users are ready to pay extra for adopting advanced VR technologies.
Statistics by Virtual Reality Gaming
- In 2022, more than 50% of consumers across the world have purchased VR devices for playing games.
- According to expert estimates in the 3rd quarter of 2022, around 471,000 Oculus Quest 2 VR were sold by Meta.
- Sony Corporation has estimated that by the end of 2023, the second edition of the PlayStation was sold by 2 million units.
- In the United States in 2022, the revenue of VR gaming has grown by $1.6 billion, and by the end of 2023 the revenue is expected to be $1.9 billion and by 2024 it will be $2.4 billion.
- Whereas, more than 500,000 VR devices were sold by Pico in the 1st quarter of 2022.
- By the end of 2022, revenue earned by 1/3rd of Meta’s 400 VR games resulted above $1 million.
- “The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners” is a popular Meta VR game that has earned more than $50 million in revenue.
- In the coming days, the gaming industry will enhance more enormously by implementing the combination of both VR and AR technologies said by 52% of the U.S. gamers.
Virtual Reality Statistics by Media
- In the 1st half of 2022, almost 1/3rd of VR users have linked with VR platforms after browsing them on VR stores.
- The most famous VR social media platform named “Roblox” has experienced more than 58.8 million daily active users and spent 13.4 billion hours in 2022.
- According to VR gaming industry statistics, 50% of Roblox’s daily users were aged less than 13 years.
- Whereas, 31% and 19% of VR users have purchased digital products and luxury items respectively from VR social media platforms.
- The conversion rates have increased by 94% when products are marketed with VR content.
- 70% of adults and 61% of young shoppers across the world have preferred brands that are linked with VR technologies.
- In the case of selecting a tourist destination, 1/4th of tourists have planned to use virtual reality in 2023.
Statistics by Virtual Reality Market
- In 2023 the startups of VR have increased by 14% from last year.
- On the other hand, Apple Company has planned to launch VR headsets which determined that the interest in VR technologies has increased.
- The global number of users of VR technology is expected to be 171 million by 2022.
- In the United States, there are more than 950 VR startups of which 85% are actively working on VR projects.
- As of now, VR technology is familiar among 78% of Americans. Brands that the
As of today after completing the article on Virtual Reality Statistics it has been easily stated that the VR world for all of us is not happening yet. It has been observed that in the U.S. only 25% of internet users are expected to use VR. The concept of VR is still new to the world’s mainstream market. With each passing year, the VR industry is growing effectively and different sectors have achieved positive growth. This article includes several effective statistics that will help in understanding the topic better.
The technologies are motion sensors and gyroscopes for tracking body head, and hand positions; small HD screens for stereoscopic display, and fast, lightweight and small computer processors.
As of 2023, the biggest VR worldwide companies are Microsoft, Google, Oculus, HTC Vive, Sony, Samsung, and Magic Leap.
Virtual reality was created by an American computer scientist named Ivan Sutherland and his student named Bob Sproull in the year 1968.
Barry is a lover of everything technology. Figuring out how the software works and creating content to shed more light on the value it offers users is his favorite pastime. When not evaluating apps or programs, he's busy trying out new healthy recipes, doing yoga, meditating, or taking nature walks with his little one.